12/29/2010

Zoloft and some advice

The hardest part of being a new mom is being responsible for yourself, your home, and your new baby.  Babies cannot do anything on their own.  And they don't sleep as much as the books say.  At least DD didn't. 

People weren't making it any better.  They were making me feel like I didn't know how to take care of my own child.  I have plenty of experience with kids.  I'm a teacher!  I lived with my niece for two years!  I baby sat forever!  But having your OWN child is NOTHING like caring for other children.  Don't let it fool you like it did me.

Around the time I started Zoloft for postpartum depression, DD started meds for acid reflux and I started to give up on breastfeeding.  I was only pumping a couple ounces a time, and we couldn't get DD to latch.  I decided that formula isn't as awful as everyone says.  My baby was being fed, was happy (finally), and was gaining weight and growing. 

One piece of advice I will offer to new moms is don't freak out if you can't breastfeed.  And don't tell yourself when you are pregnant that you won't freak.  Because you will.  I told myself it would be fine if it didn't work, but when it wasn't working my depression set in.  That is when I started to feel like a big failure. 

Just remember, mom being happy is important.  If YOU aren't happy then you can't be the best mom you can be.  Forget those who preach the goodness of breastmilk.  Yes, it's good and great, but there are plenty of happy successful people in this world (and smart) who were fed formula.  I don't want to toot my own horn, but I am one of them.  And so are my brothers. 

So if you can't breastfeed mom, don't worry.  Your baby will be fine (I promise).  And to those of you who look down on formula feeders for being "lazy"... Shame on you.  Moms should have a pact and be there as a support system regardless.  Shame on you and I pray that you never have any issues feeding your child. 

And moms to be, please promise yourself that you will NEVER judge the decisions other mothers make (unless they are beating their children or something awful like that).

P.S. Did you know that formula is the most regulated "foods" there is?  And those of you who hate formula but eat meat, maybe you need to do some research on what you are putting into your body.  Just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment