12/29/2010

The Moment Most Moms Dread

Returning to work!

The weekend before returning to work was rough.  I cried a lot.  I felt horrible.  I felt like most of my leave was spent being angry at myself and DD.  I wasted a huge amount of time with her.  But, I had to go back.  There was no avoiding it.

I'm a teacher.  I teach 3rd grade at a Catholic school.  The thought of being a stay at home mom (SAHM) never crossed my mind before.  I worked hard to become a teacher and plenty of money was invested in my teaching certificate (thanks to my brother and SIL).  It was hard to find a job and I love teaching.  So the fact that I was so upset over it surprised me.  New mom, you think you'll want to go back to work, but when that moment comes, you will cry.  So prepare yourself.

I respect moms who decide to stay home.  Being home 24/7 is a HARD job.  Now that I'm back to work and in the swing of things, I'm happy to be working.  That doesn't mean I don't love my baby.  I love her to death, but there is something to be said about getting alone time, speaking to other adults, and getting out of the house.  There is also something to be said about contributing to my family and helping to pay the bills. 

I like having my own money.  I like to shop.  I like to buy things for DD.  Working means I can do these things and so much for her. 

I don't want DD to grow up the way I did.  I love my mom and she tried her best, but I never got to do anything when I was little.  No dance classes, no swim classes, no nothing!  If it weren't for my brother, I'd have nothing growing up.  He always gave me the things I wanted and if it weren't for him (and his awesome wife) I wouldn't have been able to go to school. 

So new moms, don't feel badly about having to work!  Working, being a wife, being a mom, and being a housekeeper/cook is TOUGH.  I believe that it is important for children to see women contributing to their family other than just in the home (and that's hard enough!) 

Does DD deserve to have a SAHM? Yes, she does.  But she also deserves to take fun classes outside of school, to go on amazing trips that she will always cherish, and she certainly deserves to go to college. 

I always aspire to be like my SIL.  She looks fantastic, has a great house, works full time, and takes care of three beautiful girls.  Three beautiful SMART girls who have fulfilling lives thanks to the hard work she and my brother put in!  I am certain when they grow up they will look back at their childhood and see how blessed they have been!

So working moms, do your thing!  Don't EVER feel like less of a mom because you have decided to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment